Get your home ready for springtime.
As the weather grows warmer and we enjoy more hours of daylight, spring cleaning fever seems to strike people all across the land. While you’re driving out the dust bunnies, there are some other steps you can take to get your home ready for the change in the weather and take advantage of warmer, wetter days.
- Cleaning is probably the first thing on your mind. Open the windows, take down the curtains, and steam clean those carpets to get out the mustiness that comes from the house being shut up all winter. Ceiling fans should be dusted. Take on some of those other rarely accomplished cleaning projects too: get the grease out of the oven and broiler, run white vinegar through your coffeepot or boil it in your kettle, and pressure wash or power wash the outside of the home to freshen your siding.
- Prepare for bug season. Along with checking seals on windows, doors and sliding glass doors, make sure you check the pet doors too. In the pantry, move dry goods to glass jars, plastic tubs or resealable plastic bags. Along the same lines, wash out pet bowls and considering purchasing raised bowls for indoors and setting outdoor bowls in shallow dishes filled with water.
- Care for your HVAC. Clean your filters or replace disposables. Run the air conditioner to make sure it’s in good working order before you really need it. You should check your fireplace flue now too and get it cleaned out if necessary.
- Sort out indoor storage. From medicine cupboards to junk drawers, it’s time to throw some things away and reorganize what’s left with drawer baskets and cupboard shelves. Be sure to toss expired prescriptions and OTC medicines. It’s a good time to empty and clean the refrigerator and freezer as well. That mystery meat in the back probably isn’t going to be used, so let it go.
- Organize outdoors. You’ll soon be spending more time outside, so get your yard and surrounding spaces ready before summer. Prune vines and prep for planting, and check garden hoses for cracks or damage. Wash out trash and recycle bins thoroughly. Check the driveway for cracks that may need to be repaired. Get your gutters cleaned out. Consider a new welcome doormat to replace the one ravaged by winter. And don’t forget to prep your outdoor grill!
- Mind your money. Spring is also a great time to review your home warranties and homeowners insurance, to make sure you’ve got all the protection you may need.
Preparing in advance will ensure you’re not rushing to get your home in order and that you can relax and enjoy the change in seasons!